- How to be filled with the Holy Spirit by A. W. Tozer. A deeply biblical yet accessible work that avoids much of the popular hype surrounding the charismatic gifts, while embracing fully the person and work of the God the Holy Spirit.
- The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. A definitive work on spiritual growth and the spiritual disciplines.
- The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller. Probably the best overall book on marriage from Christian perspective out there. Read my full review.
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Where you want to start if you’re questioning Christianity on any level.
- Worship Old & New by Robert Weber. Academic, but important for understanding the meaning and development of Christian worship over time.
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. Undoubtedly one of the most profound devotional works of all time.
- Learn how to live a life infused with joy
- Enjoy living in authentic community
- Discover St. Paul’s “secret” to contentment
- Experience the presence of God
- Understand your greatest calling in life
We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship. – C. S. Lewis
Learn to to become silent, to be still, to practice solitude. Learn to become truly self-aware. Learn to listen to God. Experience joy and peace and community that lasts.
This is a controversial translation, to be sure (well, two or three verses, anyways). Sponsored by mainline Protestants but taking advice from both evangelicals and Roman Catholics, it aims to be a truly ecumenical translation.
This is part of the attraction for me, even though there are SO MANY English translations out there; all of them good. Nevertheless, I dig the ecumenical vibes and I appreciate the boldness of the translation while simultaneously missing the familiar English idioms that carry over from the KJV to ESV.
God willing I’ll read the whole thing this year.
Immeasurable is a book I’d like to give every person just starting out in ministry. Continue reading “Skye Jethani’s IMMEASURABLE is a book I’d like to give every person just starting out in ministry“