In David Allen’s classic book on personal productivity, Getting Things Done he describes an ideal state of mind:
Imagine throwing a pebble into a still pond. How does the water respond? The answer is, totally appropriately to the force and mass of the input; then it returns to calm. It doesn’t overreact or underreact.
So why do we care about this?
A mind like water is a disciplined mind, a mind focused on the right things, at the right times. David Allen places this in the context of personal productivity, getting the things you need to get done, done. David Allen’s Getting Things Done system can help you clear the clutter from your daily task list and help you order your life in a way that is consistent with your values.
I think there’s actually a spiritual component to this, if we’re open to it: the very biblical concepts of stewardship and working “as for the Lord” (Colossians 3:23). Continue reading “Getting Things Done: Current Tools, Practices, & Principles“
- How to be filled with the Holy Spirit by A. W. Tozer. A deeply biblical yet accessible work that avoids much of the popular hype surrounding the charismatic gifts, while embracing fully the person and work of the God the Holy Spirit.
- The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. A definitive work on spiritual growth and the spiritual disciplines.
- The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller. Probably the best overall book on marriage from Christian perspective out there. Read my full review.
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Where you want to start if you’re questioning Christianity on any level.
- Worship Old & New by Robert Weber. Academic, but important for understanding the meaning and development of Christian worship over time.
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. Undoubtedly one of the most profound devotional works of all time.
Are you a busy pastor, small-group leader, or Bible-teacher that struggles to get your sermon or Bible studies done in a reasonable amount of time? Do you sit down to study without a clear plan and struggle to find your next step? Continue reading “Super-quick sermon prep“
Immeasurable is a book I’d like to give every person just starting out in ministry. Continue reading “Skye Jethani’s IMMEASURABLE is a book I’d like to give every person just starting out in ministry“